They are surrounded by a diverse landscape, including grassy fields and rivers that run south through woodlands and dunes to sandy beaches.
The Victorian church of St John stands at the heart of the village of Penmaen. It is very simply decorated.
The original church was on the burrows above Three Cliffs Bay. It was besanded in the early 14th Century, and probably was directly replaced by the current one.
From 1230 to 1540 it was owned by the Knights of St John. It was largely restored in the 19th Century.
Today, the building sits alongside the main south Gower road, and is wedged in between modern housing.